Cracker’s Front Range League Hoops (1-21-13)
Time to update the CRFL Standings as the teams jockey to win the coveted mythical trophy and the cheeseball, Cusano cigar, and picture of Salma Hayek for their coach.
1. Wyoming (3-0) – The Pokes made it through the early part of the CFRL schedule unscathed to put them in the driver’s seat but still have four games left. They have been inconsistent since the suspension of senior wing Luke Martinez, losing at Fresno State but following that with a huge win at home over San Diego State. There is no margin for error with the Pokes as they have a very limited bench. I’ll give them a puncher’s chance of holding on. They’ll probably be kicking themselves if they don’t. rpi 32, Sagarin 32, Pomeroy 28.
2. Colorado State (3-1) – The Rams scored a big win over visiting Air Force to move into 2nd place in the standings. They still have a pair of road games against WYO and AFA along with a home tilt with the Pokes. Win all three and the title is theirs. Too bad Eustachy gave up cigars. He’d like that Cusano. rpi 17, Sagarin 23, Pomeroy 22.
3. Colorado (2-1) – The Buffs are at the mercy of the other teams as they have completed their CFRL schedule for 2012-13. Since the huge home win over CSU they are 5-5 but will be looking to get their season back on track with conference home games against Stanford and Cal. Has Tad Boyle asked for a mulligan on the Wyoming game yet? rpi 19, Sagarin 46, Pomeroy 51.
4. Denver (0-2) – The Pioneers will not win the CFRL but they are starting to make noise in their first and only year in the WAC. They’ve moved to the top of the WAC standings at 7-1 scoring a pair of big home wins over San Jose State and Utah State this past week. Joe Scott > Stew Morril. rpi 109, Sagarin 63, Pomeroy 40.
5. Air Force (0-2) – The Falcons had their wings clipped in Fort Collins this week but are technically still in the CFRL title race in they win out and Wyoming splits with CSU. Probably not gonna happen but I hear first year head coach Dave Pilipovich has his sights set on that Salma Hayek picture. rpi 86, Sagarin 103, Pomeroy 126.
6. Northern Colorado (0-2) – Its been a rough season for the Bears after high hopes for a upper half finish in the Big Sky. They score a lot of points but they defend like me. Maybe next year Bears. rpi 307, Sagarin 275, Pomeroy 269.